Battery Maintenance TipsMichael Kibirige
- Taking good care of your Solar Batteries is one of the best ways to improve battery performance, increase battery life and decrease the lifetime cost of your off-grid solar energy system.
Here are some of the maintenance tips to extend the Battery life of your Solar System
- Protect your Solar battery bank from extreme temperatures. Extreme temperatures may cause your solar batteries to malfunction and stop working. Therefore, to prolong the lifespan of your battery bank, ensure that you keep it from extreme heat or cold.
- Conduct regular inspections for your solar battery bank. Checking your battery bank regularly will enable you to detect potentially threatening conditions thus saving you from unexpected expenses.
- Checking the fluid level. This only applies to unsealed batteries (FLA), which are flooded lead-acid batteries. Open your battery cap and look inside. Add distilled water into the cells so that no metal lead surfaces are visible.
- Check also for leakage and corrosion on or near the terminals and cables. Finally, feel around for hot spots. One battery may feel warmer than the others, or the lugs at the cable ends could fail and get hot.
- Keep your Solar batteries charged. Keeping your Solar batteries in the discharged state for an extended period may affect the capacity and lifetime of your battery bank. Ensure that you completely charge your solar batteries every month to reduce internal corrosion and degradation